Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Old Lady Shoe Makeover

I have the hardest time finding spring/summer shoes that are comfy and cute.  I love slip-on/ballet flat style shoes but lately I've noticed that the lack of support makes my feet ache by the end of the day.  I found these shoes at T.J.Maxx for a very reasonable price.  I like the shape and support but hate the awful fake gemstone things.
So I decided to make them over and was inspired by these shoes:
Blume leather ballet flats from J.Crew

I cut off the stones and made a miniature version of the flower corsage from Made by Lex.  Using my brand new mini glue gun I glued it to the top of the shoe.
The best part of this makeover is that if I get sick of this color/style (or it gets dirty) I can just pull it off and put on something new!  I like this ruffle option as well:

And I think that one large flower with few petals, like the one on this headband, would work well also:
Large flower headband by Made by Lex

Now I'm ready for the 80 degree weather this weekend!
 
PS-After wearing these shoes out one day the fraying got out of control so I sealed the edges with a candle.
PPS-After having worn these for a couple of days I realized that the glue is not enough to keep the fabric on the shoe (the roses however are still firmly attached to the strip of fabric).  There are holes in the leather where the original decorations were sewn on, so I did a few hand stitches to secure the flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! I have real trouble finding comfy shoes too...hadn't thought of refashioning shoes though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. greaqt job and there so cute now!

    ReplyDelete